In my previous guide, I showed you guys how to unblock Hulu in Canada. But in that guide, I didn’t cover how you can enjoy Hulu on your big screen. Sure it’s cool to watch Hulu on your iPad or your phone, but it’s way more enjoyable on a big screen TV.
Now, there are plenty of devices you can use to stream Hulu on your TV. You can use a Fire Stick or even a Chromecast for it. But by far the best device you can use to stream Hulu is Roku.
With that being said, Hulu is only available in the United States and Roku doesn’t natively support VPNs. This might sound like an annoying issue, however, it is pretty easy to resolve.
In today’s guide, I’m going to show you how to watch Hulu in Canada on your Roku device, in the easiest way possible.
So, without wasting any time, let’s get started.
How to Watch Hulu in Canada on Roku (Easy steps)
So, if you are here, you already know that Hulu is not available in the UK, Canada, Australia, and many other regions. In order to unblock it in Canada, you’ll need to use a VPN and connect to a U.S server. But in order to watch Hulu on a Roku, you’ll need to also create a U.S Roku account.
Sounds a bit complicated right?
Don’t worry, let me break everything down for you.
In this part, I’m going to cover:
- How to create a U.S Roku account (via credit card and PayPal)
- How to provide a VPN connection to your Roku device
Once you have a U.S Roku account, you’ll be able to download the Hulu app on your Roku and then use your VPN to stream all the amazing content that Hulu has to offer.
Just follow the steps below to quickly create a U.S Roku account:
How to Create a U.S Roku Account to Watch Hulu in Canada?
To create a U.S Roku account, you’ll either need to use a credit card or PayPal as your preferred payment method. The credit card method is a bit complicated compared to the PayPal method.
We’ll start first with the credit card method since not a lot of people have PayPal accounts.
- Method #1 – Create a U.S Roku Account Using a Credit Card
- Method #2 – Create a U.S Roku Account Using PayPal
Method #1: Create a U.S Roku Account to Unblock Hulu in Canada Using a Credit Card
- First, make sure to get a VPN that works with Hulu. I recommend getting ExpressVPN as it offers plenty of U.S servers.
- Download the VPN app on your laptop.
- Sign in to your account by typing in your credentials.
- Once logged in, connect to a U.S server.
- After that, visit Roku’s website and sign up for a new account by clicking on the ‘Create Account option.
- On the Create your Roku account page, provide your First and last name along with a valid email address and password.
- After that, you’ll be asked to choose your PIN preferences for any purchases you make through Roku. I usually don’t use a PIN but you can choose to use one if you prefer. Click ‘Continue’ once you’ve chosen an appropriate option.
- Now, you’ll be asked to choose a payment method. Since in this method we’re focusing just on the credit card option, we just choose that.
- For credit card details, enter your card number, expiration date, security code, and the name on your card.
- For billing address information, choose your country as U.S and type in the street address that is associated with your credit card. For city and state, you can just type in any random U.S city and state. Just make sure that the city and state you choose actually make sense. For Zip code, you can actually Google one that’s associated with the city and state that you choose earlier. Hit “Save and Continue” when you’re done.
That’s it. Your new U.S Roku account is now created. You can now log in to your Roku account and add Hulu to your list of channels.
Note: Click here to learn how to add Hulu to your list of channels in Roku and start streaming Hulu in Canada.
Method #2: Create a U.S Roku Account Using PayPal for Accessing Hulu on Roku From Canada
This method is a lot easier. You don’t have to add a lot of details to create a U.S Roku account. All you need is a valid PayPal account and a valid U.S address.
- Follow all the steps as earlier, however, when it comes to choosing a payment method, select PayPal.
- Enter your email address or mobile number that’s associated with your PayPal account and click on “Next”.
- Once logged in to your PayPal account, you should be good to go.
You’ve just now created your new Roku account via the PayPal method. You’ll just need to connect to a U.S server every time you want to access Hulu in Canada on your Roku device.
How to Provide a VPN Connection to Your Roku to watch Hulu in Canada?
Since Roku doesn’t natively support VPNs, you’ll need to set up a VPN on your router or use a virtual router running a VPN to provide a VPN connection to your Roku.
Do keep in mind that you should only use a VPN that can actually unblock Hulu. ExpressVPN is a good option to go for. We’ll first look at how to provide a virtual VPN connection to Roku and then we’ll look at the physical router method.
Method #1: How to Watch Hulu in Canada on Roku Via Virtual Router?
Note: We’ll be using a Windows 10 computer and ExpressVPN for this tutorial.
- Open up the Settings on your Windows 10 computer > Network & Internet > Mobile hotspot.
- Next, where it says “Under Share my Internet connection from”, select Wi-Fi.
- Now, you need to create a new network name and password. To do that, under “Related settings”, click on “Change adapter options”.
- Next, from the “Network Connections” page, make a note of the connection name that you just created. For example, for me, it’s “Local Area Connection”.
- Now, since we’re using ExpressVPN for this tutorial, you need to right-click on “ExpressVPN Tap Adapter” and access its properties.
- Next, click on “Sharing” and checkmark the option that says ”Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.
- Next, select the connection name that you created earlier from the dropdown menu, and click on “OK”.
- Now your hotspot is created. You now need to open the ExpressVPN app and connect to a U.S server.
- Last but not least, power on your Roku and connect it to your newly created virtual router hotspot. To do that, press the home button on your Roku remote and go to > Settings > Network > Set Up Connection > Wireless > choose the hotspot connection that you created earlier and enter the password for it.
That’s it, your Roku device is now connected to your newly created VPN virtual hotspot connection. You can now freely watch Hulu in Canada on your Roku device and enjoy all the amazing shows that you’ve been missing out on.
Method #2: How to Watch Hulu in Canada on Roku Via Physical Router?
Note: We’ll be using ExpressVPN and a Linksys router.
This method is a bit tricker. It requires a bit more technical knowledge. If you don’t think you can handle that, I suggest striking to the first method. But if you’re up for it, you’ll basically need to:
- Download the ExpressVPN router app from ExpressVPN website.
- Install it on your compatible router (Linksys, Asus, or Netgear routers)
- Select a U.S server location.
- Connect your Roku device to your router via Wi-Fi.
- Finally, download the Hulu app on your Roku device and enjoy it.
If you have an ExpressVPN subscription and Linksys router with the model numbers mentioned below, you can follow this in-depth router setup guide for beginners with lots of screenshots:
- Linksys WRT1900AC 13J2
- Linksys WRT1900ACS
- Linksys WRT3200ACM
- Linksys WRT1200AC
- Linksys WRT1900AC 13J1
- Linksys EA6200
How to Add Hulu App to Roku?
Here’s how to add the Hulu app to your Roku device.
- Press home from your Roku remote to go to the Roku home screen.
- Now, select the Streaming Channels option.
- Once the Channel Store opens up, search for Hulu.
- Now, select the Hulu app from the channel list.
- Click on Add Channel option from the Hulu app information menu.
- The Hulu app will now be added to your channel list.
- Finally, log in to the newly downloaded Hulu app, type in your credentials, and enjoy streaming.
Hulu App X Roku Compatibility
If you go for the latest Hulu app, you’ll need a newer model of Roku. The latest version of the Hulu app is supported on the following Roku models:
- Roku Ultra
- Roku Premiere
- Roku Premiere+
- Roku Express
- Roku Express+
- Roku 3
- Roku 4
- Roku 2
- Roku Streaming Stick
- Roku TV
- 4k Roku TV
Old Hulu App X Roku Compatibility
If you have an old Hulu app, you can only use an older model of Roku. For the Hulu classic app, you’ll need to have the following Roku models:
- Roku 1 – model 2710X
- Roku 2 – model 2720X
- Roku LT – model 2700X
Watching Hulu in Canada on Roku is Easy!
So there you have it. This was my super simple guide to help you watch Hulu in Canada on your Roku device. The same method can be used to unblock Hulu in Australia. Even if you’re new to using VPNs, you’ll find this guide pretty easy to follow. So what are you waiting for? Get started right now and enjoy amazing Hulu shows on the big screen.