So we’ve all been there. We log in to our favorite VPN app, connect to a server and start browsing for a bit until out of nowhere, our VPN connection abruptly drops. I don’t know about you, but I’ve often come across this issue while using IPVanish VPN.
Now it’s not like anyone is messing around with your VPN connection. Sometimes, factors such as server load can even cause your VPN to disconnect out of nowhere.
But almost all the time, fixing disconnection issues can be relatively easy. For this guide, I’ll be covering five (5) troubleshooting steps to help you quickly fix IPVanish’s disconnection issues.
How to fix IPVanish keeps disconnecting issue?
As I mentioned earlier, no one is messing with your internet connection, trust me. But there can some issues that might create problems for you. Don’t worry though, just follow the quick troubleshooting steps below:
1. Try switching VPN servers
If the server you’re trying to connect is too crowded, you will encounter connection drops. For IPVanish, usually switching to a different server with less load can help you easily fix disconnection issues. Connecting to a server that’s close to your location can also help a lot.
2. Try changing tunneling protocols
If server switching didn’t do the trick, you can try changing different VPN protocols. This might help you fix the disconnection issue. So if you’re using PPTP, you can switch to OpenVPN, L2TP and so on and so forth. If you haven’t switched protocols before, don’t worry, I’ve got you covered.
How to Change VPN Protocols in IPVanish for Mac?
To change VPN protocol on a device that’s running macOS, follow the steps below:
1. Just as before, make sure IPVanish is not connected to any VPN server.
2. Next, move your mouse to the top ribbon of your macOS device and click on IPVanish VPN to access its Preferences.
3. Finally, click on the Connection tab located under the Preferences menu and then click on Active Protocol options to choose your desired protocol.
How to Change VPN Protocols in IPVanish for Windows?
To change VPN protocols for the Windows app of IPVanish, follow the steps below:
1. First, make sure you’re connected to any VPN server.
2. Then, head over to the Settings menu of your IPVanish app and click on the CONNECTION tab.
3. Next, click on the Active Protocol option to select your desired VPN protocol and you’re done.
<h4″>How to change VPN Protocols in IPVanish for Android?
For Android, follow the steps below to change protocols:
1. Make sure IPVanish is disconnected
2. Next, tap on the hamburger icon in the top left corner to access the Settings menu.
3. Finally, tap on CONNECTION then Settings and then select your desired protocol from the Protocol options.
How to change VPN Protocols in IPVanish for iOS?
Last but not least, let’s check out how you change protocols on the iOS app of IPVanish:
1. Open the IPVanish app on your iOS device and tap on the Settings icon.
2. Now simply tap on the Protocols option and select the protocol of your choice.
3. Try switching internet connections
If your internet connection isn’t working properly, your VPN will keep on disconnecting no matter what. A good tip to get over this issue is to first test your internet connection without the VPN running to make sure that your internet is working properly.
If your internet is working fine and you’re still facing disconnection issues, trying switching to another internet connection like mobile data to see if that resolves the issue. If IPVanish starts working fine on a different network, you might want to contact your ISP to have them resolve your internet connection issues.
4. Try a fresh install of the IPVanish app
If none of the above troubleshooting tips works, try uninstalling the IPVanish app altogether and then downloading and reinstalling a fresh version of the app to see if that helps. This should get rid of any glitches or bugs.
5. Try updating your OS
Last but not least, you can try updating your operating system. Since apps are updated quite frequently, you might want to update your OS as well to stay compatible. To see which versions of operating systems are compatible with IPVanish, you can check out this list.