If you already own a Linksys router, you can easily set up the ExpressVPN app for routers to add an extra layer of security and privacy to your home or office network. In today’s knowledgebase, I’m going to tell you exactly how to set up the ExpressVPN app on your Linksys router.
Note: Before we begin, the below-mentioned steps only work with the following Linksys router models:
- Linksys WRT1900AC 13J2
- Linksys WRT1900ACS
- Linksys WRT3200ACM
- Linksys WRT1200AC
- Linksys WRT1900AC 13J1
- Linksys EA6200
Download the ExpressVPN app for your Linksys router
So in order to download the ExpressVPN app for your Linksys router, you’ll need to first head over to their website and then log in to your account. Once you do that, just follow the steps listed below:
1. First, click the button that says “Set Up on More Devices“.
2. Click on “Router” on the left-hand side of the screen and select your router model from the dropdown.
3. Next, click on “Download Firmware” and also make sure to copy your “activation code” as you’re going to be needing it later on in this setup process.
Set up the ExpressVPN app on your Linksys router
Once you’ve successfully downloaded the ExpressVPN firmware for your Linksys router, go ahead and make that your router is properly set up and connected to the internet. After that, just follow the steps below:
1. Sign in to your router’s admin panel by visiting www.linksyssmartwifi.com, type in the username as “admin” and then click on “Sign In“.
2. Next, from the “Router Settings” tab, click on “Connectivity”
3. After that, click on “Choose File” located under Router “Firmware Update“ – “Manual” and upload the ExpressVPN firmware that you downloaded earlier.
4. Next, click on “Start” and follow the on-screen instructions to perform the firmware update. Do note that your router will restart during the update process.
Note: Your Wi-Fi network’s name and password will reset once you install the ExpressVPN app on your Linksys router. After the changes, your router’s name will look something like this, “LinksysXYZ”. You can find the default password on the sticker located under your router.
5. Moving forward, connect to the internet via your router’s Wi-Fi or by cable then visit www.expressvpnrouter.com.
6. Next, click on “Get Started” to begin the ExpressVPN router setup process.
Connect to any ExpressVPN server location
Now that you’ve properly downloaded and configured ExpressVPN on your Linksys router, it’s time to connect to a server location. Remember, ExpressVPN offers 3000+ servers all over the world.
To connect to any of ExpressVPN’s server locations, click on the “location picker“.
Browse through all the available locations and then click on any server location you like to connect to.
You can also use the “search bar” to search for any particular location you like to connect to.
That’s it, you’re all set to use ExpressVPN right from your router. If you purchased any of the above-listed routers through FlashRouters, you can refer to the setup steps here. If you didn’t purchase your Linksys router from FlashRouters and need help setting up, here are some setup steps for the WRT1200, WRT3200, WRT1900 or EA6200. If you don’t own a Linksys router, you can try the manual router setup steps.
More Guides on ExpressVPN
You can read our other ExpressVPN guides: