Technically speaking, all VPNs no matter the brand will slow down your default internet speeds. Cheap or low-end VPNs will slow down your speeds considerably, while premium VPNs will only reduce your connection speeds by 20% to 25%.
For example, on a 100 Mbps connection, you should be able to get 70 Mbps to 80 Mbps downloading speeds ideally.
But it’s not because you’re using a cheap VPN that’s taking a toll on your connection speeds. There are multiple reasons that may contribute to your slow VPN connection speeds. Let’s take a closer look at some of the prime suspects behind slow VPN speeds:
- Server location:
The prime reason why you’re experiencing slow speeds is that you’re connected to a VPN server that’s too far away from your actual location. For instance, if you’re located in the Middle East and connect to a U.S server, you’re going to notice a significant speed drop. That’s because it takes packets of data longer to travel between you and the VPN server.
- Bandwidth caps
Some VPN providers cunningly use bandwidth caps to prevent a user from extensively using their service. So, if you use VPNs to download large torrent files or stream HD movies, your VPN provider can throttle your connection speeds.
- VPN encryption & protocol
Other culprits behind slow speeds are VPN encryption and protocols. With overhead encryption, your VPN speeds are going to suffer. The most common protocol known to cause slow speeds is OpenVPN. It is the most secure protocol around however it is considerably slower than PPTP which is significantly faster. But then again, PPTP is less secure as it uses less encryption.
Which VPNs Offer The Fastest Speeds?
Now there are tons of VPNs in the industry. Some are free, others are budget-friendly and there are also high-end VPNs. That said, not all of them are fast.
Here are our top VPN recommendations that are super fast and affordable:
- Surfshark – Most Affordable VPN. Starts from just $2.30/mo (Save 82% and get 2 extra months FREE with 24-month plan). Offers 3200+ servers in 65 countries. It can easily be used with the Tor browser. Tested to offers speeds of up to 47.83 Mbps (50 Mbps standard connection). Supports unlimited simultaneous connections and also offers a full 30-day money-back guarantee.
- ExpressVPN – Overall best VPN. Come with 3000+ servers in 94 countries that offer powerful security and support both torrenting, and streaming. Offers feature such as AES 256-bit encryption, kill switch, no-logs, and DNS leak protection. Supports 5 devices simultaneously. Fast enough to offer speeds of up to 40.43 Mbps (50 Mbps standard connection). Costs just $6.67/mo and comes with a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee. Limited time offer: Get 3 months free subscription with its annual plan.
- NordVPN – Most Secure VPN. Comes with powerful security features such as Nordlynx, AES 256-bit encryption, kill switch, CyberSec, and obfuscated servers. Offers an audited strict no-logging policy. Offers 5200+ servers in 59+ countries. Fast enough to offer speeds of up to 36.43 Mbps (50 Mbps standard connection). Costs just $5.29/mo, supports 6 multi-logins, and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- CyberGhost – Easy to Use VPN. Incredibly intuitive to use on iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, and more. Comes with a massive 7700+ server network in 90+ countries. Easily cable of delivering fast speeds of up to 46.13 Mbps (50 Mbps standard connection). Costs just $2.29/mo, offers 7 multi-logins per subscription, and offers an extensive 45-day money-back guarantee.