A default gateway operates as an IP router or access point, which a networked computer utilizes to transfer information from another network’s computer or internet. The term default implies that this gateway is used by default, until and unless an application states any other specific gateway.
How to find your router’s default gateway on Mac?
If you own a Mac and are worried about what is my default gateway then, you have landed at the perfect place. The following are the simple steps to find your router’s default gateway on Mac.
- Select the Apple icon, found in the top left corner, and then opt for System Preferences.
- Next, you must choose a network.
- Select the Advanced option, near the bottom of the window.
- In the TCP/IP tab, next to the router heading, you will find the router’s gateway written.
How to find default your router’s default gateway on Windows?
For those who operate Windows and are wondering what is my default gateway? We have got you covered too. The following are simple steps to find your router’s default gateway on Windows.
- Start with clicking your Start icon and search for ‘cmd.’
- With the help of the earlier step, you will be directed to Command Prompt. Type “ipconfig” there and press your enter key.
- In the results shown, you will find the default gateway written next to the Default Gateway heading.
Should You Use a VPN On Mac & Windows?
Yes, why not. For network security and privacy, using a VPN on your Mac and Windows machine is a smart idea. But which one to use?
Well, here are the best VPNs that we recommend. These VPNs are super secure and also affordable.
- Surfshark – Most Affordable VPN. Starts from just $1.99/mo (Save 86% and get 3 extra months FREE with 24-month plan). Offers 3200+ servers in 65 countries. Offers WireGuard®, IKEv2, OpenVPN, and Shadowsocks. Offers a powerful kill switch. One of the most recommended VPNs by Reddit users. Supports unlimited simultaneous connections and also offers a full 30-day money-back guarantee.
- ExpressVPN – Overall Best VPN. Comes with 3000+ servers in 94 countries that offer powerful security and supports torrenting. Offers WireGuard®, IKEv2, OpenVPN, and Shadowsocks. Offers an efficient kill switch (Network Lock). Offers Lightway, OpenVPN, L2TP/IPsec, IKEv2, PPTP, WireGuard, SSTP. One of the best VPNs for Nvidia Shield, Android, Xbox One, iOS, Firestick, macOS, etc. Costs just $6.67/mo and comes with a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee.
- NordVPN – Most Secure VPN. Comes with powerful security features such as Nordlynx, AES 256-bit encryption, kill switch, CyberSec, and obfuscated servers. Supports IKEv2/IPsec, OpenVPN, NordLynx. Offers 5200+ servers in 59+ countries. One of the best VPNs for small business due to its security features. Costs just $4.79/mo, supports 6 multi-logins, and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.