A dedicated IP VPN is a service that offers dedicated IP addresses. In case you don’t know what a dedicated IP is, it’s basically an IP address only assigned to one individual and not shared by any other. Think of dedicated IP or static IP as an exclusive VIP ticket.
In comparison to dedicated IP VPNs, shared IP VPNs assign all users the same IP address depending on which servers they connect to. So for instance, if you connect to the New York server, you’ll be going to share the exact same IP address with potentially hundreds of other users.
While this isn’t necessarily bad, this can get you banned or blocked even if one user sharing the same IP address gets blacklisted. But with dedicated IP VPNs, you don’t have to share your IP address with anyone. This can be super helpful when unblocking Netflix since you wouldn’t have to deal with blacklisted shared IP addresses.
That being said, dedicated IP addresses can cost a bit extra on your regular subscription plan. Depending on which dedicated IP VPN you choose, you can expect to pay somewhere around $3/mo to $12/mo.
We recommend NordVPN as it offers dedicated IP addresses in the following regions:
- The United States (Buffalo, Los Angeles, Dallas)
- Germany (Frankfurt)
- The United Kingdom (London)
- The Netherlands (Amsterdam)
- France (Paris)
The price of a dedicated IP address in any of these countries is $70/year. Keep in mind that you can only use a dedicated IP address from NordVPN on two devices simultaneously.
But paying an extra bit of money does come with its perks. Here are all the benefits you can get from a dedicated IP VPN:
- The biggest perk of having a dedicated IP address is that you can unblock geo-restricted streaming services like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and more without getting blocked.
- Dedicated IP addresses help you mitigate the issue of re-verification. Most online services only permit users to use a single IP address to prevent fraud or account sharing. With dedicated IPs, you’ll always use a single IP address thus avoiding the need to re-verify your account.
- Dedicated IP addresses are super helpful for online banking. If you use a shared IP address to access your bank account online, you might get your account blocked on the basis of suspicious activity. But with a dedicated IP address, you’ll always have a single IP from a specific location.
How Can I Get a Dedicated IP For Free?
Unlike NordVPN where you’d have to pay for a dedicated IP, Surfshark offers dedicated IPs for free.
Almost every server location in the Surfshark app offers both static and dynamic IPs. Surfshark’s static IPs can be used on the following operating systems:
Here are some other reasons that make Surfshark the best VPN in 2022:
Surfshark – Most Affordable VPN. Starts from just $2.30/mo. Offers 3200+ servers in 65 countries. Can easily unblock geo-blocked services like Netflix US, and Hulu with ease. The best VPN for Nvidia shield, iOS, etc. Tested to offer speeds of up to 47.83 Mbps (50 Mbps standard connection). One of the best Reddit VPNs. Supports unlimited simultaneous connections and also offers a full 30-day money-back guarantee.