Onion over VPN – if you break it down, it essentially means using the Tor over a VPN network. Unlike your typical VPN setup which involves a bunch of secure VPN servers, Onion over VPN is a much more advanced system. Onion over VPN takes your encrypted VPN traffic and then routes it through the Onion network before it reaches the Internet.
Although the Onion network can only be accessed with the help of a special browser, some VPN providers that offer Onion over VPN technology don’t require you to download separate browsers. In fact, you just need to connect to a special Onion over the VPN server to have your entire network traffic pass through the Tor network.
Onion over VPN is a powerful technology and offers more robust privacy than typical VPN setups. One major perk of using Onion over VPN technology is that it can prevent your ISP from detecting your Tor traffic. This technology not only hides your IP address from the entry nodes but also routes all of your DNS requests through the Tor network for double the privacy.
Who Should Use Onion Over VPN?
Onion over VPN attracts a wide range of people. This is because of the simplicity it offers with enhanced security. Following are some of the people attracted towards Onion over VPN and why:
1) Residents and travelers in autocratic regimes
It is extremely simple to operate. With a single click, you will be directed through the Onion Network. There are a handful of VPN services that offer integration of the Onion network with a VPN. You can link to a NordVPN server and utilize the TOR browser, as per your choice.
2) Persons who work with sensitive data
The internet service provider is capable of knowing that you use Onion but will be restricted to know the purpose. a secure VPN protects you from all kinds of third parties and does not allow them to track any sort of online activity. Therefore, providing complete confidentiality and privacy while wandering the internet.
3) Journalists and political activists
VPN transfers your traffic through an encoded tunnel, which adds another layer of security when you are browsing anything on the internet.
Our Choice of VPNs to Use With Tor
Now there are tons of VPNs in the industry. Some are free, others are budget-friendly and there are also high-end VPNs. That said, not all of them can be trusted.
Speaking of which, here’s our top VPN recommendation to use with Tor:
- Surfshark – Most Affordable VPN. Starts from just $1.99/mo (Save 86% and get 3 extra months FREE with 24-month plan). Offers 3200+ servers in 65 countries. Can easily be used with the Tor browser. Tested to offer speeds of up to 47.83 Mbps (50 Mbps standard connection). Supports unlimited simultaneous connections and also offers a full 30-day money-back guarantee.
- ExpressVPN – Overall best VPN. Comes with 3000+ servers in 94 countries that offer powerful security and support both torrenting, and streaming. Offers feature such as AES 256-bit encryption, kill switch, no-logs, and DNS leak protection. Can easily be used with the Tor browser. Supports 5 devices simultaneously. Fast enough to offer speeds of up to 40.43 Mbps (50 Mbps standard connection), making it the best VPN for Nvidia Shield, Xbox One, iOS, Android, Firestick, macOS, etc. Comes with a free smart DNS – MediaStreamer feature. Costs just $6.67/mo and comes with a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee. Limited time offer: Get 3 months free subscription with its annual plan.
- NordVPN – Most Secure VPN. Comes with powerful security features such as Nordlynx, AES 256-bit encryption, kill switch, CyberSec, and obfuscated servers. Offers an audited strict no-logging policy. Offers 5200+ servers in 59+ countries. Offer a dedicated Onion Over VPN feature. Fast enough to offer speeds of up to 36.43 Mbps (50 Mbps standard connection). Costs just $4.79/mo, supports 6 multi-logins, and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- CyberGhost – Easy to Use VPN. Incredibly intuitive to use on iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, and more. Comes with a massive 7700+ server network in 90+ countries. Can easily be used with the Tor browser. Easily cable of delivering fast speeds of up to 46.13 Mbps (50 Mbps standard connection). Costs just $2.29/mo, offers 7 multi-logins per subscription, and offers an extensive 45-day money-back guarantee.